The Drake House10500 Clara Drive Roswell, GA 30075 www.thedrakehouse.org
The Drake House Mission:
The Drake House mission is to provide short term crisis housing, assessment, support, and empowerment to homeless mothers and their children in the North Fulton area. It was established to support mothers and children in their effort to recover from their interim homeless situation, keep the family in tact, and provide them with the resources to return to self-sufficient housing.
Who We Are:
The Drake House is a crisis residential assessment center for homeless women and children in North Fulton. We provide immediate residential housing, combined with an empowerment program designed to provide stability for the children and assist the family in working toward housing self sufficiency.
What We Do:
The Drake House Residential Assessment Center addresses a long-standing need for emergency housing for women and children in the north Fulton community. We offer residential housing and in-depth assessments to approximately 40-50 families a year. Each family stays approximately 90 days. The target population is single mothers with minor children. These mothers may be unemployed or underemployed and lack sufficient income to meet all the expenses of life in the North Fulton community.
What We Hope to Achieve:
Women and children entering The Drake House are offered a variety of support services to empower and educate them and move them towards self-sufficiency.Residents participate in a goal setting process and an empowerment plan. Initial goals include addressing medical needs of the mother and the children, and the educational needs of the children. Onsite life skills classes are conducted every Monday evening on topics such as job readiness, personal finances, parenting skills, and health and wellness. An advocacy program provides encouragement, motivation, and support during the family’s stay.
Our goal is to create an environment that allows homeless families to:
- Be included in North Fulton community life
- Enjoy a stabilized, improved quality of life
- Make increasingly responsible choices
- Exert greater control over their life circumstances
- Develop and exercise their competencies and talents
- Experience personal security and self-respect
How can I get involved?
The Northview Church of Christ’s responsibilities include:
- “Hosting” one of the apartments (covering the rent and utilities) on an annual basis
- Providing each family with a full Thanksgiving meal
- Providing a new fleece blanket to each child
- Providing Christmas wreaths for each of the apartment doors
- Mentoring the moms at a weekly meeting and providing childcare for their kids during that time.
Please contact Micki Novak at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering and/or want to help with the services listed above.